Dates have now been set for 3 of the key events in the IOF calendar for 2022.
- The World Orienteering Championships in the Triangle Region of Denmark which were postponed from 2020 to 2022 will be held from June 29 to July 3 , 2022.
- As previously announced, The World Games in Birmingham, Alabama, USA were postponed from 2021 to the new dates July 7 – 17, 2022. The orienteering competitions will be held on the last 3 days of the games, July 15 – 17.
- The Orienteering World Cup and European Orienteering Championships in Rakvere, Estonia which were postponed from 2020 to 2022 will be held from August 3 – 7, 2022.
The IOF has also received a preliminary notification from the International University Sports Federation (FISU) that the World University Orienteering Championships 2022 in Switzerland will be held August 16 – 20, 2022. FISU will be confirming this shortly.
Regarding the four remaining events in the IOF calendar for 2020, the IOF has clarified the final decision dates for whether or not the events can be held. The decision date is based upon the deadline provided by each organiser, i.e. when they need to have a decision to be able to manage the event financially and organisationally. The IOF Council will base its decision upon the advice of the organiser at that time, the best available advice available from international health authorities to be able to guarantee the safe conduct of the event, and will also consider if the events can be held with championships status. This evaluation will be based upon IOF member federations advice to their members and teams regarding travel, and how many are able and willing to participate due to travel restrictions, in line with the consultation feedback previously received from members.
- For the European Mountainbike Orienteering Championships (EMTBOC) and World Masters Mountainbike Orienteering Championships (WMMTBOC), currently scheduled for Finland in September, the decision will be made by the Council at its meeting on July 9.
- For the Junior World Orienteering Championships (JWOC) in Turkey, The World Mountainbike Orienteering Championships (WMTBOC) in Portugal, and the European Youth Orienteering Championships (EYOC) in Hungary, all currently scheduled for October, the decisions will be made at the latest by the beginning of August.