The Council Event Supervisory Board has approved an updated version of the competition rules for IOF Foot Orienteering Events. These new rules are valid as of January 1, 2019.
Some highlighted changes:
- The inclusion of rules for the Knock-out Sprint format which will be included in the World Orienteering Championships (WOC) from 2020.
- The General Assembly approved changes to the program of the Junior World Orienteering Championships (JWOC), including a Sprint Relay and removing the Middle Distance qualification competition.
- Participation and qualification rules for World Orienteering Championships competitions as the new WOC model is introduced from 2019.
- A number of updated rules regarding the World Masters Orienteering Championships (WMOC) based upon experience from this past summer’s event, where the Middle Distance Final race was first introduced. For example updated rules for WMOC qualifications and revised map scales for the WMOC sprint competition.
- Increased minimum control separation for Sprint to 25 metres, including the start control.
- Updated rules and the inclusion of new rules for various regional orienteering championships.
The updated rules documents can be found on the FootO Rules page