The complete rules for the World Cup consists of;
- Orienteering competition rules.
- World Cup special rules.
The rules are published here.
The Individual World Cup consist, in 2023, of seven competition. The total score is simply the sum of the scores of each competition. The scoring system per competition is as follows;
- 1st place: 100 points
- 2nd place: 80 points
- 3rd place: 60 points
- 4th place: 50 points
- 5th place: 45 points
- 6th place: 40 points
- 7th place: 37 points
- 8th place: 35 points
- 9th place: 33 points
- For places 10 – 40: 31, 30, 29….
- Place 40: 1 point
In the case of a tie, the tied runners each receive the same points as if they had each been placed in the highest of the tied positions. Runners who are not placed among top 40 receive no points.
The Knock-out Sprint is an exception, where points are rewarded as follows;
- Final: as for places 1-6 above.
- Semi-finals: 3rd place 35 points, 4th place 30 points, 5th place 27 points, 6th place 24 points.
- Quarterfinals: 4th place 20 points, 5th place 14 points, 6th place 8 points.
- Qualification race: 13th place in each heat 4 points, 14th place 1 point.
Runners who are not placed in any Knock-Out round receive the points for last place in that round.
Team World Cup Scoring System
- Individual races: The sum of the four best runners per team (nation), both Men and Women
- Relay: The table above * 10
- Sprint Relay: The table above * 20
The allocations for each federation can be found in the document “National Quota for Sprint WOC & World Cup 2022”. The document can be found here.
The national quotas are based on the total points of the leading 10 athletes from each Federation as shown in the IOF World Federation League Tables (link) published on 1st January 2022. Separate quotas will apply for men and women.
The allocations for competitions will be:
- The top 6 Federations get 8 places.
- The next 8 Federations get 6 places.
- The host Federation gets 8 places, irrespective of its standing in the IOF Federation League Table.
- All other Federations get 4 places.
Reigning World Champions are given a start place out of counting above.
All prizes are in Euro.
|Place||Individual race||Relay race||Total Individual World Cup|